What is the UKCA marking? UKCA stands for UK Conformity Assessed. The end of 2020 is nearby. The UK will leave the EU, and on December 31st, 2020, the transition period will come to an end. For a long time, there have been questioning marks what will happen to the Conformity Assessment routes to follow when placing your product on the UK market.
The UKCA marking is a mandatory UK product mark. The marking is required on a product placed on the UK market meaning England, Wales, and also Scotland. The UKCA mark alone can not be used for goods placed on the Northern Ireland Market, which required the UK(NI) or CE Mark. As the market needs to adapt, in most cases, you are still able to use the CE marking until January 1st, 2022. You are, however, encouraged to be ready to use the UKCA marking as soon as possible for this date. The rule does not apply to existing stock when you are manufactured and prepared to place on the market before January 1st, 2021.
Guidance on placing manufactured goods on the market in Great Britain mentions when the equipment is falling under the directive 2014/53/EU, you must set the UK Conformity Assessed mark.
When should I use the UKCA Marking?
From the 1st 2021 the marking needs to be immediately used when your product:
- is covered by the legislation which requires the UKCA marking;
- third-party conformity assessment is required;
- A UK Conformity assessment body has carried out conformity assessment, and you haven’t transferred your conformity assessment files from your UK body to an EU recognized body before January 1st, 2021.
Whether you will need to use the UKCA marking, we refer to the following guidance on placing manufactured goods on the market in Great Britain.
Using the CE marking
Until December 31st, 2021 you can use the CE marking for the Great Britain market if the following apply:
- CE marking based on Module B self-declaration and;
- An EU-recognized Notified Body carried out any mandatory third-party conformity assessment (Module B+C EC type-examination) including a body which is designated under the Mutual Recognition Agreement with the EU;
- The EC type-examination previously held by the UK approved Body has been transferred to an EU-recognized notified Body.
If rules between the EU and the UK are the same, you can please CE marked products on the UK market. Nonetheless, you are encouraged to be ready on January 1st, 2022, at the latest.
I am exporting form the UK to the EU.
Only the product sold in the EU will need the CE mark. The UK Conformity Assessed (UKCA) mark is not recognized in the EU or Northern Ireland markets but for UK exporter, no action as from January 1st, 2021 is required if:
- you self-declare against the regulations or;
- you voluntarily use a notified body to test against European or International standards.
Check whether your UK Notified body is taking steps to help you to continue to export to the EU.
IoT consulting Partners is able to support support you.
Authorized or responsible person in the UK
From January 1st, 2021, the authorized representatives based in the EU is no longer recognized. Designating a UK based representative is required.
The NLF framework requires importers responsible for placing goods on the GB market to be identified on the product, its associated documentation or the packaging. Importers are also required to ensure that the UKCA mark is properly applied and that the technical documentation is in order and can be made available to the UK enforcement authorities.
In close cooperation ship with its UK partner, IoT Consulting partners is offering this UK Authorised Representative service.
For more information about our AR service, feel free to contact us or have a look in our online shop.
UKCA Marking Rules
- The letters forming the UKCA mark must stay in proportion when reducing or enlarging them;
- The UKCA Marking must is at least be 5mm high unless a different minimum dimension is specified;
- The UKCA mark must be easily visible and legible. (From January 1st. 2023 it must be permanently attached)
Download UKCA mark image files (fill)
IoT Consulting Partners are ready to serve you! No matter you are importing into the UK or exporting. Our appropriate partners and we have everything aligned to get you ready.
Feel free to contact us! We are happy to assist you.